RWD looks to place at nationals

Baldwin High School’s Real World Design Team won state and is going to the national competition for the fourth consecutive year.

Sponsor Pam Davis, Junior Austin Kraus, junior Mackenzie Johnson, junior Carrie Deitz, junior Abby Clem, junior Kaitlyn Barnes, and freshman Quint Heinecke will travel to Washington D.C for the national competition on April 20.

“The first time we won (state) it was really exciting because it was going to be a new experience,” Deitz said. “But now its going to be really exciting because I’m going to go to nationals and see all my friends I made from previous years.”

Kraus also appears excited to go to nationals.

“It’s pretty awesome, we have pretty much created a dynasty across Kansas,” Kraus said. “Being able to represent Kansas all those years at nationals, it was another great feeling to win (state) this year, and I feel we will have a lot of success at nationals.”

The challenge facing the Real World Design Team this year was to create a fuel-efficient aircraft that met certain requirements such as flying over one thousand feet and flying two hundred miles in less than two hours.

Deitz seems to think that the team will do well at the competition.

“I think since we know what to expect we’ll do alright,” Deitz said. “It depends how our presentation comes together.”

Davis agrees that the experience Baldwin has will be beneficial to their chances of winning.

“I think our chances for nationals and being in the top three are very good since we have done it the past three years,” Davis said. “I think we can be in the top three and present at the Smithsonian. I am excited to see how they come out.”

Below is a video with additional information regarding the Real World Design Team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJY5adLv8e8&feature=channel&list=UL