Juniors begin college planning

Seniors are not the only students searching for plans after high school, juniors are also beginning their planning. One way to begin is by taking the ACT on April 14.

“Students should make sure to spend time preparing for the ACT,” Baldwin High School freshmen and junior counselor Natalie Schmidt-Konkel said. “There is a sample ACT we provide to study from, and students should use any other resources. It is a tough test, don’t expect to step in and ace it.”

Sophomore and senior class counselor Melody Hoffsommer agreed that the ACT is an important preparation for students.

“Students should take the ACT early, and at least once,” Hoffsommer said.

However, students are not finished after they take the ACT.

“There are a lot of things to do to be prepared (for life out of high school),” Schmidt-Konkel said. “College is not going to be easy. Students should learn to find and ask for help, and also learn to advocate for themselves.”

Hoffsommer agreed that learning to ask for help is significant.

“Students should keep good communication with their counselor,” Hoffsommer said.

Also, Hoffsommer believes there are several things that may be even more important than the ACT.

“Students should prioritize, make a list of things to do, stick to deadlines, and don’t wait until the last minute to do everything,” Hoffsommer said. “They should also apply to all the scholarships they can.”
Planning for life outside of high school is a long process. It is a process even the seniors have not finished.

“They won’t know until mid March or April,” Hoffsommer said.

As the seniors reach the end of their planning, the juniors will start the process.