Culinary schedules full plate

The Culinary/Management Teams scheduled a busy 2012 season. The teams are attending the State FCCLA Competition, the State ProStart Management Competition, and the State ProStart Culinary Competition.

On Feb. 29, the Culinary Team will travel to the State FCCLA Competition.

To prepare, students are sent three different menus to practice cooking. On the day of the competition, participants receive one menu, and they have only one hour to create an appetizer, entree, and dessert.

Next, students on the Management Team will attend the State ProStart Management Competition on March 6-7.

At this competition, the team designs everything that makes a restaurant function, from what is in the menu, to the structure of the menu.

The Management Team appears to be excited for the competition.

“I think we will do great,” junior Caleb Gaylord said. “We have put a lot of work into it, but there is still a lot more to do.”

Also on March 6-7, the Culinary Team will go to the State ProStart Culinary Competition.

At this event, students have only one hour to create an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert, using only a portable gas burner and no refrigerator.

The Culinary Team seems ready to compete at the event.

“I’m excited,” senior Will Simmons said. “ At the competition we make our meal and they judge us. We’ll do alright, the Olathe schools usually dominate the Culinary side.”

After the hard work the teams have put in, they appear ready for their three events.

“We hope to do well,” teacher Sandra Lawson said. “Because of the hard work it is important they do well. They will be nervous.”