Dynamic Duo: Kramps, Johnson state debate bound

The debate team that consists of senior Sarah Kramps and junior Mackenzie Johnson are state bound for the second year in a row. The theme for this year’s state debate tournament is increasing space exploration and development.

This is Kramps’ fourth year competing at state but there are still aspects of it that stress her out.

“Trying to prepare for the tournament itself it stessful,” Kramps said. “You also have to make sure you’ve done enough research and that you know enough about the topic to argue your stance.”

For her partner, it is not just the state tournament that gets to her.

“Debate in general is stressful,” Johnson said. “The most stressful part about it though is not knowing whether you won or lost the match right away. We have to wait for the judges to post the results and for Ms. Lewis to tell us.”

Debate sponsor and BHS English teacher Catherine Lewis is proud of her students going to state.

“It’s great to see them reach their goal,” Lewis said. “They are very dedicated and have spent a lot of time working for it.”

In order to qualify for state, debaters must win at least half of their debates and compete in a minimum of four tournaments.

Being a senior, Kramps is looking into colleges and considering debating in college.

“Scott Harris, the KU Debate coach, has asked to to meet with me and discuss possibly debating at KU,” Kramps said. “I’m still on the fence about whether or not I want to debate in college, though.”

Even with all of the work debate requires, there are still parts of it that students enjoy.

“My favorite part is learning to think on your feet and counteracting what other people say,” Johnson said.

The debaters recommend debate for everyone because it helps you develop useful skills.

“Debate is great for anyone,” Kramps said. “It helps you work on your public speaking which is a skill you will need later in life.

The girls will be competing for state on Friday, Jan. 13, and Saturday, Jan. 14, at Silver Lake High School.