FCCLA makes blankets for homeless families

FCCLA members are making fleece tie blankets for homeless families. Club members gathered after school on Wednesday, Nov. 16, to make the blankets.

“Making the blankets was really fun,” junior Cate Gwin said.

The blanket making appeared to be a success, as several blankets were made.

“The blanket making went extremely well,” junior and FCCLA Vice President Heidi Halford said. “I hope to do it again next year.”

Club members had some fun while making the blankets.

“We spent a couple of hours together to make blankets, listen to Christmas music and eat pizza,” senior and FCCLA President Claire Peterson said.

The blankets were made to donate to an organization called Family Promise.

“Family Promise is an organization that helps homeless families get food, shelter, and find jobs,” Peterson said.

Halford agreed that Family Promise is helpful to families in need.

“Family Promise is a great organization that helps homeless families who have nowhere else to go,” Halford said.

FCCLA club members will be delivering the blankets to the churches in which the families are staying in early December.  Members will stay for a few hours to spend the evening playing with the kids.

FCCLA officers have planned several more activities for the rest of the school year.

“We will be donating pop tabs to the Ronald McDonald house and starting to work concessions at the basketball games,” junior and FCCLA Secretary Bailey Smith said.

One upcoming activity in FCCLA will include visiting Vintage Park.

“We will be going to play Wii with them (the residents of Vintage Park),” Peterson said.

In past years, FCCLA has assisted with the Halloween and Valentine’s Day parties at Vinland Elementary.  Due to the closing of Vinland, FCCLA has had to reevaluate some of their annual activities.

“We have adapted our club because of the closing of Vinland,” Halford said, “but we’re planning to have a field day with the elementary schools in the spring.”

FCCLA’s next meeting will be during seminar on Jan. 10