Girls hit gridiron in annual Powderpuff game

The past week at BHS has been Buffer Week, which means students could not access the gyms to practice sports. However the week was not totally sports free, BHS girls participated in the annual Powderpuff game Student Council organizes every year.

Powderpuff is a flag football game played between a team of girls from each grade. The past two years only the junior and senior classes have been allowed to play, but this year Stuco changed that rule and allowed all four grades to play again.

“I like it better when all four grades get to play,” senior Paris Nottingham said. “It’s more fun and you get the opportunity to play more than one game.”

Most of the girls enjoyed their experience in Powderpuff.

“It was really fun even though my team didn’t win,” junior Katie Pattrick said. “It was great having all of the girls out and having a blast.”

Powderpuff, like any other sporting event has a champion, and this year the seniors were the champions.

“I was so excited that we won,” Nottingham said. “I was surprised that we won because we’ve never won before and we only had six girls playing but we had a lot of fun playing together.”

Now that this year’s Powderpuff has come and gone many girls are trying to decide whether or not to play next year.

“I will most definitely play in next year’s game,” Pattrick said.

While some girls, such as Pattrick, are excited and determined to play next year others didn’t enjoy the experience as much.

“It was a good experience,” sophomore Jenna VonBargen said. “But I don’t think I will play next year or the year after because I’m not very good at football.”

The girls participating were not the only people present this year.

“Between the girls participating and the people the came to watch we had a little over 100 people,” STUCO sponsor Danielle Balsman said. “I definitely think we will keep the competition between all four grades because we have better turnouts.

by Abbi Carlson BHS Journalism