HUMANS OF BHS: TAMMY JOHNSON

I graduated from Wellsville High School in 1976. My English/Journalism teacher, Mrs. Reed encouraged me to pursue Journalism  in college. She was willing to assist me in applying for scholarships and guiding me through the process. I sure wish I would have taken her up on the generous offer. Instead in July after graduation I impulsively decided to enroll at Pittsburg State University, following my friend. I really wanted to go to school, but knew funding would be a problem. After a year I decided the cost would be too much for me to handle. My lesson here was to check out to see if there were any options. 

The next two years I worked as a parts price list and billing clerk for a mail sorting machine company. A better opportunity as a lab tech for Holsum Foods. I really liked that job a lot. Then I got married and we started a family. I managed a Casey’s General Store, but it was not working for our family, with a whole lot of praying and thought I decided to open a daycare. The daycare proved to be successful and I loved my job.

We moved outside Overbrook three years ago. I was really missing the kids. During my daycare years I worked with a lot of special needs children. They hold a special place in my heart. There was an opening in the SPED department in Baldwin where my grandchildren attend school. I applied and got the job. I now work as a job coach in the Bridges Program for 18-21 year olds. I love my job, hopefully I can impact their lives in a positive way. They are a joy!