Alford brings passion to BHS softball

Join us for a Q/A with softball coach Melissa Alford
Macie Gilges
Coach Melissa Alford telling Emme Nigh what to do on a certain play.

Melissa Alford is involved in many things. She is the secretary at Baldwin High School and also coaches softball. She grew up around softball and has played it and is now the assistant coach for the varsity team.

Q: What has been your most important accomplishment as a coach?
A: “My most important accomplishment as a coach is the excitement I see on a player when they have made a great catch or an awesome hit. It makes me proud to watch what we work on at practice be transferred to a game.”

Q: Why did you choose to coach?
A: “I chose to coach because I was a softball player in high school and college. My family has been involved in baseball/softball my entire life and I have a passion to teach the game.”

Q: When did you start coaching?
A: “I started coaching in 2003 when I was 24 years old.”

Q: What is a favorite memory from softball?
A: “My most favorite memory from softball is when the high school team I was coaching won the Southern California CIF Championship. It was an experience I’ll never forget!”

Q: How does coaching feel, and why do you enjoy it?
A: “I get excited before every season. I count the days before softball season begins, I look forward to the new group of girls joining and catching up with our returners. I enjoy the traditions we have created within our team.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about coaching and what can you tell other people about it?
A: “My favorite thing about softball is coaching the outfield, I love that outfield is the last line of defense and outfielders have to give it everything they have to save those important baserunners. I love when the outfielders make gutsy plays!”