BHS MARDI PARTY

Mardi Gras tradition continues at BHS

Mardi Gras diversity day at BHS was on Feb. 28 this year. It is an annual celebration that a lot of people help out with planning and come to. Josh Reynolds, the Transition Coordinator for Mardi Gras is helping out this year. 

“I am the new Transition Coordinator and am trying to fill the shoes that Sheila Vander Tuig left behind when she retired. It has fallen to me to organize the Mardi Gras this year,” Reynolds said.

Reynolds decided to help out with Mardi Gras because, he loves to help and include disabled kids.

“When I heard about the event, I immediately loved it!  I have been working in special education for over 10 years and have been a friend, ally, and advocate for people with disabilities all of my life. This event celebrates those of us that are sometimes left out for whatever reason,” Reynolds said.

A senior at BHS named Harper Shoendaller, is helping out with Mardi Gras this year. She likes helping out because it keeps everything light hearted.

“Mardi Gras diversity day is great because it keeps everything fun and light hearted. It helps make everyone included and we play lots of games.” Shoendaller said.

Raelyn Wilkerson is a junior at BHS. This year she is helping out with Mardi Gras. She thinks that Mardi Gras brings inclusion to Baldwin.

“Mardi Gras diversity day is important because it brings inclusion to Baldwin and everybody gets to be seen, make friends, and develop their social skills throughout the day,” Wilkerson said.

A freshman at BHS Audrey Searl, is ready to help with Mardi Gras this year. 

“I think Mardi Gras is important because it is a tradition that has been going on for ever. It lets everyone be included in everything we get to do and have fun,” Searl said.