Dangers of drug use

The reality behind teen substance abuse
Dangers of drug use

Teachers, coaches, and parents need to take substance abuse more seriously, rather than talking about drug abuse with your kids, students, etc or drug testing or offering more resources and help.

Adults tend to know many kids that have substance abuse issues or have heard rumors about such things and still do nothing, especially coaches because they can’t stand to lose players.  

Although most youth are in good health, some youth are at an increased risk for behaviors that can lead to poor health outcomes, such as high-risk substance use. 

Over 90% of Americans with substance use issues started using drugs before they turned 18 according to Green Hill Recovery.

15% of high school students reported having ever used select illicit or injection drugs (i.e. cocaine, inhalants, heroin, methamphetamines, hallucinogens, or ecstasy) according to the CDC. Teenagers’ brains adapt more quickly to repeated drug use, leading to cravings and dependence. 

Teenagers’ who use drugs at a young age usually suffer from mental disorders. Once a teen begins using drugs or alcohol, their brain can actually be impaired. Drug overdose is the 3rd leading cause of death in teens.  

Teenagers tend to like to experience drugs for themselves typically because they aren’t educated on the side effects of drugs or they just are curious about the topic but teens fail to realize the impacts that drugs have such as increased strain on the liver, which puts the person at risk of significant liver damage or liver failure. Seizures, stroke, mental confusion and brain damage. Lung disease. Problems with memory, attention and decision-making, which make daily living more difficult. 

Some mental health problems that are consistent with drug abuse in teens are increased anxiety, depression, long term effects of schizophrenia, psychosis, and extreme paranoia.

If drug abuse issues in teens don’t get better we are going to see teen deaths and mental health problems skyrocket due to drug related issues and teens getting their hands on drugs at young ages.