Fishing Excellence

Harmon, Shannon take fishing adventures seriously

Senior Cayden Harmon and his fishing partner senior Cooper Shannon love fishing. But not just recreational fishing, they fish competitively.

“The two main tournament trails, Major League Bass Fishing and Bassmaster, both offer High School level series,” Harmon said.

Harmon and Shannon fish together at Bass Masters and they both fish the Major League Fishing Trail but with separate partners.

“We only fish for black species Bass, that includes Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Spotted (Kentucky) Bass,” Harmon said. “My favorite species to fish is Largemouth and Smallmouth and Cooper’s is just Smallmouth.”

Shannon and Harmon would like to travel to fish. Locally they fish Melvern, Perry, Lone star, and Douglas. 

“If I could go anywhere in the world to fish I would go to California,” Shannon said.

“If I could go anywhere I would definitely pick Louisiana,” Harmon said.

Both Harmon and Shannon have caught Largemouth Bass that were over 6 pounds.

“The largest fish I have ever caught was a 6.4 pound Largemouth Bass,” Harmon said. 

After High School Harmon and Shannon would like to go to school for bass fishing. 

“There are over 100 different colleges that support bass fishing,” Shannon said. “They are located all over the United States. I would like to attend either K-State or Missouri State for fishing.”

Harmon recently visited a school called Montevallo University in Alabama.

“I just got back from visiting the number one ranked bass fishing college in the United States and I loved it but not the prices,” Harmon said. “Bass fishing is a ridiculously expensive sport when you have to have the right boat and truck. And college is just as expensive so we will see what I end up doing.”

Harmon and Shannon do not always fish tournaments together.

“In late October we will fish on Melvern together to try and qualify us for the Bassmaster Kansas state championship for the 3rd time in a row,” Harmon said. “We will end up fishing Perry Lake in April together again, after we won the Perry tournament last year. We will be trying to defend our Perry Lake title and shoot for a shot at winning Angler of the Year together.”