A Way of Life

Showing cattle a way of life for Baldwin students

Showing is a very hard thing to do and it’s a lot more difficult than some people would think. Freshman Cheyenne Brunker and 8th Grader Molly Hill have been showing cattle for a long time, and it is an important part of their lives. 

“The first time I was in the ring was when I was a baby, but I’ve been competitively showing cattle since I was 9,” Brunker said.

They both love being a part of the industry and their cows. 

“Going to the shows is really fun,” Hill said, “because you get to see all your friends that you don’t get to see very much because they don’t live close to you and making connections with cattle, they can become your best friends.”

“My favorite thing about showing cattle is the people I meet and the connections I make with different people and my cows,” Brunker said. 

The sport is very hard and it takes up a lot of time. So there are some drawbacks to it.

“You have to skip a lot of school and if you have friends’ stuff and you have a show that weekend, then you have to go to the show,” Hill said.

They have both completed shows at very high levels. Hill has been to Nationals twice. 

“The highest shows I’ve competed in are the old triple crown,” Brunker said. “It’s Royal, Denver, and Louisville. The National Western stock show is Denver and the Northern International Stock show is Louisville.”

They both have plans to keep showing and they want to get even better. 

“I want to do showmanship at the National Junior Angus Show and you have to qualify for that at state,” Hill said. “Also I want to have the best heifer coming up at the Junior Livestock Show next weekend.”

“I will continue showing until I age out, which will be 21 and after that I hope to keep being an influence on other little kids in the industry,” Brunker said.