TEACHER of the MONTH: Harris enjoys job as Journalism, English teacher

Kit Harris is a Journalism teacher and English teacher at Baldwin High School. Harris recently went on a trip to in Boston on April 13. He ran in the 5K on April 14 and his wife Sarah, a teacher at the elementary school, ran in the marathon on the April 15. Harris and his son Cael were watching Sarah at different parts of the race. After the bombs went off Harris and his son looked for Sarah. They were finally reunited and went back to their hotel and spent the rest of their trip enjoying the city of Boston. Harris won teacher of the month because he does such a good job with the Journalism students and because he came back from Boston safely.

Q: What was your reaction to being elected Teacher of the Month?

A: “I think it’s a nice honor to be recognized and appreciated by the students. I’m very appreciative.”

Q: How does being elected Teacher of the Month make you feel about the way your students view you as a teacher?

A: “I hope students enjoy my classes and get something out of them. I hope they enjoy school and learning and they work hard to create a better future for themselves.”

Q: Why did you become a teacher?

A: “It’s a very important and fun job. It is also very rewarding.”

Q: What is your favorite part of teaching?

A: “Every year, it’s a new set of challenges and students. I get to build a lot of new relationships that can last a lifetime. I enjoy seeing the students move on and find success in their lives.”

Q: If you could give your students one piece of advice, what would it be?

A: “Take school seriously. School can make or break future opportunities. It can sometimes be difficult to convince a teenager of that. Don’t let hard work get in the way of having fun and don’t let having too much fun getting in the way of working hard.”