That dreaded illness: Senioritis

In high schools across the nation the start of the second semester is also usually when senioritis strikes hard. There are always some seniors that get the “disease” at the start of the school year. It is a dangerous and contagious disease that can spread to other seniors.

People might ask what is senioritis?

Merriam Webster Dictionary states that it means “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.” Also, the only known cure is a phenomenon known as “graduation.”

Senioritis usually has the similar effects on different students.

Ever since school started this year I have had no motivation to do anything,” senior Chessica Evans said. “Every day always seems like the perfect day to do Senior Skip Day but I have to keep in mind my grades still count.”

The seniors need to keep in mind that the year is not over yet and is still important, according to school staff.

It’s a good test for discipline and taking care of responsibilities,” BHS counselor Melody Hoffsommer said. “Even though you experience it, it’s only for a short period of time and students can get through it.”

Being a senior has its advantages.

The advantage of being a senior is that you don’t have a full schedule and you have seniority,” senior Victoria Jaskiewicz said.

There are ways to fight through senioritis, to keep it from taking over.

What might help is to stay current with assignments so students don’t fall behind,” Hoffsommer said. “If you have lots of homework take a break or two to get a restart.”