Parents react to children’s protection

A Florida mother concerned about safety has donated more than $11,000 so that armed deputies can patrol the elementary school where her child attends, Flagler County Public Schools said Tuesday. She made the decision about donating the money after the mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut where 20 young students were gunned down. Here are some views from teachers/parents in Baldwin High about the issue discussed.

BHS Principal Rob McKim

What are your opinions about the issue discussed?

• “Well actually our school board discussed some of this kind of stuff last night and ultimately they make a lot of decisions about having a Concealed Carry or getting an SRO. It’s the boards decision. It should be a district wide decision though. I certainly understand about children’s protection and so we have to take a lot of things into consideration.”

Would you ever do what the lady did for her  kid?

• “That’s hard for me to say because I am not a parent. I certainly understand. I imagine that there would be some parents that would donate more. The value of a child is way more than $11,000. All the things that we talked about like Concealed Carry and SRO cost money so somebody, tax payers, individual donors, somebody is going to have to give money.”

Do you think that all of it was worth it?

• “Being worth it depends on the individual. If her child stayed safe is it worth it for her, I would say so. If the money was give and then used for something she didn’t want, probably not. But $11,000 is not worth a child. Infact you cannot put money in what a student is worth.”
BHS Secretary Kim Bergan

• “All school districts are different but in our school I don’t feel like armed deputies are needed. SRO would be a benefit for many reasons including additional security for our school buildings.”
  • “No, I don’t believe adding additional weapons to a school setting is necessary to feel secure in our school district.” 

• “No.”
BHS Physics teacher Jim Hartman

• “The parent has a legitimate concern, especially since the shootings have occurred. Maybe the money could be used toward a safer security system. Armed elutes might be an immediate reaction solution, but probably not fundable in the long term.”
  • “I would advocate for better security systems.”
  • “It would it to be production in ensuring children’s safety. We should take what we’ve learned from these shooting incidents, and develop ways to prevent them from happening again.”
BHS Math teacher Danielle Balsmen
  • “I believe that something needs to be done to help teachers and students feel safer in their school environment.” 
Would you ever do what the lady did?
  • “Bringing in an SRO could definately assist in that sense of security.” 
  • “If I had the money I would want to help this happen like this Florida mother did.” 
 BHS Culinary teacher Paul Mussleman
  • I understand the heightened sense of paranoia and longing for security following the Newton  shooting. However, I feel it is very important for everyone to keep their heads. It is my opinion that schools should not resemble military compounds, with armed guards at every entrance.”

Would you ever do what the lady did?

• “I would probably not because I don’t think I would focus my energy on financial resources in the same way she did. I would prefer to focus on the cause, which is families and their children, who attend our schools”
  • “I cannot blame her for wanting to do something to improve the perception of her child’s safety at school. I believe her intentions are of positive origin, but like all over the country. I think they may be somewhat misguided, especially considering all the causes to which we can dedicate our energy and resources.”