After school tutoring provides extra help for students

This is the first year that Baldwin High School is offering after-school tutoring. It gives the students a chance to get extra help and also more of a one on one teaching. After school tutoring last from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.

Monday and Wednesday are mainly based around English and History. Tuesday and Thursday are based on Math and Science. Teachers that usually help out with the tutoring are English (Bonnie Butell-Huntoon, Catherine Lewis), History (Jason Crowder) Math (Danielle Balsman, Tom Sigvaldson).

“The tutoring is a GREAT resource for our students,” Balsman said. “It is definitely a benefit that our school has the ability to offer this chance for more individualized instruction that we may not always have the time for during the day.”

This is not the first time after-school tutoring has been at BHS.

“We started the tutoring back up second semester last year,” Principal Rob McKim said. “To my knowledge, we’ve had a grant from previous years.”

After-school tutoring is for any student that wants the help. Or even if they just need the computer lab to type a paper.

“We get a mixture of students each day,” Balsman said. “Some use the computer lab to type papers or work on presentations. Some get help from me. I believe it is beneficial for most.”

This is a helping tool that is available to all students. The teachers are big supporters of this program. It also lets the teachers know the students are trying to get extra help and improving their grades.

“Teachers would like to see more students come and take advantage of this opportunity,” McKim said. “They do not mind helping the students that want it.”