Exchange student interview with Anne Knepper

A luxembourgish girl, Anne Knepper is an exchange student in Baldwin High School. She participates in tennis and is indeed doing well in it.

Have you been to any other countries? If you have what were they?

• ” Yes I have been to other countries. I have been pretty much everywhere in Europe. I have also been in Morocco, London, in Ausralia, at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, in Hong Kong, in Cuba and in New York. Since I live in Luxembourg traveling is not a big thing.”

Is this your first time in America and will you come back later if you can? 

• ” No, I have been in New York before, but I guess that just a tiny part of America. It is the opposite of Kansas. After my semester here I will go home and finsh my year at home and come back next summer.”
What has been your favorite part of being here?
  • “My favorite part of being here is probably the people that I have met so far and my host family. The Kansas people are just awesome I have never thought that they are so nice. I am really close to my host family and their home is now like my home. I just love Kansas, Baldwin.”

What is the biggest difference in America than your home country?

• “I think the biggest difference is probably the school and the way people hang out. My school is a lot bigger than this one, but really I prefer this one because you are able to know everyone. Since I go to school in the center of city I am a lot in the city because it is also really close to my home village. But I like this school too because it is a lot closer to my house.”
What is the hardest part of being in America as a foreign exchange student?
  • “I think the hardest part of being an exchange student is probably the first couple weeks because you are away from our family, you have to get used to a new “life.” And then when you go to school you are really nervous because you don’t know anyone.”
What are some interesting aspects of your country?

• “Well, Luxembourg is so tiny that you know nearly everyone. We just have one big city, the capital. Our language is not spoken everywhere else. And in like 30 minutes you are in Belgium, Germany or France.”
Has the language difference been difficult?
  • “Not at all. That really surprised me because I only spoke English for two years. But I watch a lot of English TV. So I have been used to it. And I never thought that after a month you start thinking in English and you have difficulties to speak your native language.”
What activities do you plan to do while at BHS?
  • “I am already in the tennis team. I started playing matches and it is really fun. I love the tennis girls we are always having a good time during practices. I also joined the International Club, because no one really knows much about Luxembourg and they do not have a Luxembourgish flag in the hall. I have a presentation about Luxembourg on October 16.”
Where else in the U.S would you like to travel?
  • “While I am staying in Kansas, I will go to Chicago, St Louis and Miami. I would love to go to California, New York. I just love that city. And of course I am coming back to Baldwin.”