Three exchange students experience year at BHS

Three foreign exchange students living thousands of miles from home are attending BHS this school year. Anne Knepper, Christine Mwangasu and Eusebio Jimenez are the three new faces.

Knepper came from Luxembourg and is living in with Dan and Robyn Elder. Knepper’s transition into BHS and the United States was very easy for her.

“I like the people.” Knepper said. “They are all nice. It is easy to meet new people, the lifestyle is easy. Everything is easy.”

Knepper’s host family is a major part in helping her make the transition easier.

“They keep you away from home and do lots of stuff with you,” she said. “They help me with problems, like when I’m upset they always seem to make me feel better.”

Mwangasu, known as Tina, is from Kenya. She is staying with Mark and Bobbi Halford.

“My family is the best. I love my parents, they are so caring and loving,” Mwangasu said. “My siblings are the best. They are the funniest people I have ever been with, especially my sister Heidi Halford (BHS senior).”

Mwangasu is really enjoying her year at BHS so far.

“I like it so much,” she said. “The teachers and students are so kind. I also like the way the classes are conducted. They are very organized.”

Jimenez is from Mexico and is living with the Courtneys. Jimenez seems to really be enjoying staying with them.

“I really like my host family,” Jimenez said. “They are all nice to me and they are very funny.”

Jimenez is enjoying BHS so far, playing soccer and being around the students.

“I like it, all the people are nice to me. All my teachers and classes are good,” he said. “I also like playing soccer and being on the team.”

Being an exchange student can be a very scary experience, but also very valuable to the foreign students and the students at BHS.

“ I think it can be scary,” counselor Melody Hoffsomer said. “But after the transition it can be a very positive thing for them.”