First impressions of the U.S.

*Tina Mwangasu is a foreign exchange student from Kenya at BHS. She will be sharing her thoughts about Baldwin and America as she goes through different experiences throughout the school year.

My first impression when I came to America was that everything is done using modern technology. I noticed that everything was done by different types of machines. Some of the machines include a dish washer, a washing machine, a soda-making machine and many more. I also noticed that Americans rely on other countries such as China for these machines.

From my point of view I would say that Americans, especially from Kansas since that is the only place I have been to, are very friendly. Many Americans like junk food such as pizza, hot dogs, etc.

The schools here are much different from our schools in Kenya. In Kenya, we call the stages in high school “forms”. Ninth grade is considered Form One, tenth grade is Form Two and so on. We have much harder lessons and most of them are compulsory, but here you get to choose what you want and what you think will suit you best.

The biggest change that I am experiencing is the time change. There is a difference of about eight hours from this place to my country. I usually feel sleepy during odd hours, but I am so far doing good with my transition

The English here is very different from mine. Whenever I say something in my accent and with a very fast speed, no one really understands me at all. Therefore, I have to speak very slowly and also change the way I pronounce my words.

I am having so much fun with my new family and I love the fact that I do not miss my home family in Kenya.