Costa Rica: up close

Over Spring Break, several students flew to Costa Rica for this year’s Spanish trip. They have been keeping a blog of what they have been doing. The blog includes food, environment, Their itinerary includes many different activities that will teach the students about the culture in Costa Rica.

Their 2nd day in Costa Rica included a scavenger hunt in a local food market, a visit to an artisan mask workshop, La Fortuna waterfall hike, and La Pradera del Arenal, a hotel near Arenal. The 3rd day was a farm visit with a local school and tortilla making. They also traveled to the Malekus Indian Reserve, which is the last reserve of full-blooded Maleku Indians left in Costa Rica. To conclude their day they spent some time at several Hot Springs. Day 4 was a hike up Arenal Volcano, a crossing of Lake Arenal, and they arrived in Monteverde art their third hotel El Establo.  On the 5th day they went Zip-lining over the Monteverde Cloudforest and then took a hike through the forest. Day 6 was a relaxing day in Manuel Antonio where the students shopped in the local markets and spent the day at the beach. The 7th day was a hike in the El Campesino rainforest and a swim in the waterfall.  Day 8 they will visit the Manuel Antonio National Park and meet their host families for a group dinner.  Days 9-14 will be their days with a family and attending a local school with a host sibling.  Day 14 will be their last day in Costa Rica and they will travel back to the United States.  They will be arriving around 8 o’clock tonight.

Below is a link to the blog by the students and descriptions about what they are seeing and doing. So far there have been updates about the activities they have done, what the food and environment is like, and how much fun they are having. In a few days there will be details about their home stays and their time spent at a school with one of their host sibling.

Spanish Trip Updates