Year in Review: BHS version

To be entirely cliche, here is the Baldwin High School 2011 year in review!

Starting in January of this year the state of Kansas turned 150 years old. Since next year is an election year, here is a bit of trivia: Kansas has only deviated once from its strong Republican party holdings when it flipped to vote Democrat candidate Franklin D. Roosevelt into office. Bringing it back local, BHS voted juniors Brian Wright and Carol Whaley prince and princess, respectively, and seniors Justin Vander Tuig and Myriah Pippert king and queen of courts, respectively.

In February of last year, Andrew Morgan placed fifth at the state wrestling meet. While the Real World Design Challenge team officially established a dynasty, winning the team’s third straight state championship in a row, qualifying them for the national competition in April.

In March, ten Baldwin High School students headed to France for the French trip for two weeks.

In April, the RWDC team finished third in the nation in Washington D.C. At the same time, the school board approved Athletic Director Gary Stevanus to begin scheduling a 2012 BHS girls soccer schedule but the vote was not taken to officially introduce girls soccer to the school’s sports program.

In May, according to the Baldwin City Signal, girls soccer was officially added to the BHS athletic program with a unanimous vote. The boys and girls track and field teams won the 4A state championship, the first time ever both track teams have claimed the state title in the same year.

In June, new school board members Tony Wedel, Nick Harris, Sandy Chapman, and Chad Christie took office.

In July, enrollment began, registering the largest incoming class of Baldwin High School with 122 enrolled students.

In August, school began with new principal Rob McKim and vice principal Frank Perbeck.

In September, BHS celebrated its twelfth annual Da’Bash event. The country also marked the tenth anniversary of 9/11 this year.

In October, the BHS Marching Band competed at the Baker Marching Festival and received a II rating. The girls cross country team won state for the fifth year in a row.

In November, the boys soccer team won the 4A regional title and advanced to the quarterfinals of the state tournament with a record of 14-4-1. The high school musical “Cinderella,” opened the brand new Performing Arts Center to a standing ovation.

In December. the first band and choir concerts were performed in the PAC. Student Council’s “Winter Wishes” program also brought Santa Claus into Bonnie Butell-Huntoon’s sixth hour classroom.