Exchange students enjoying year at BHS

Freshmen are not the only new students at Baldwin HS. Five exchange students are attending BHS for the 2011-12 school year.

The exchange students are from different places all over the globe. Lucas Boehme and Miriam Conath are both from Germany. Linna Fredstrom is from Sweden, Gabriela Antunes is from Brazil and Ira Soy is from Turkmenistan.

Part of being an exchange student is adjusting to the changes in the school day and the way of life in America.

“In Brazil we stay in the same classroom all day, and each day we have a different class,” Antunes said.

Antunes is not the only one getting used to having the same schedule every day. Fredstrom is also adjusting to the differences in BHS from her school in Sweden.

“In Sweden we do not have the same schedule every day, and we cannot choose what choose what classes we take,” Fredstorm said, “and people are a lot more interested in sports here I’ve noticed.”

For Ira Soy there are some similarities here at BHS as well as differences.

“My school at home is about this size, but we have to wear uniforms, and we do not get to choose our courses, they are chosen by the government,” Soy said.

The exchange students will be participating in various activities while staying at BHS.

“I am playing soccer for the school while I’m staying here,” Boehme said.

They will not only be involved in sports but clubs as well. Antuens, Soy, and Fredstrom are both on the Pioneer staff.

While living in a different country the students will be taking in the American way of life and our culture.

“I wanted to be an exchange student here because I am very interested in American culture,” Soy said.

Different aspects of the school and American culture can be difficult for the exchange students to adjust too, but they are trying their best.

“The hardest part about school is definitely to open the lockers,” Conath said. “But I like that I can change my schedule and drop classes when I want, and also take classes such as guitar and graphics and not only sciences.”

Not only do the students enjoy the school but they are also enjoying Baldwin as a community.

“My favorite part about school is that we get to choose some of our courses,” Fredstrom said. “I also like that the whole town is very supportive of the high school activities, I’m really enjoying the small town aspect.”