• Prom tickets will be on sale from April 2 to April 13 at $10. or April 16 to April 20 for $15

• Starstruck talent show auditions will be held after school April 17, 19, 20. The live show will be May 5.

• The deadline for ordering yearbooks in April 27.

Kpop genre dominating world music charts

Grace Cooper, BHS Journalism

Most Americans are used to hearing the voices of musicians such as Rihanna, Drake and Taylor Swift whenever they turn on their local pop radio station. Many of these artists have gained worldwide success, having tours and chart toppers across the globe. While these musicians are certainly accomplished there are many artists in other parts of the world who are just as popular, if not more, that most Americans have never even heard of. One of the places which this is most evident is in the Kpop music genre.

Kpop refers to Korean pop music, specifically music made by South Korean musicians. However, unlike most American singers, they often incorporate intricate choreographed dances into their music videos and live performances.

According to Billboard’s World Music Chart, the newest album by the popular all-male Kpop group BangTan Boys (called BTS for short) has become one of the fastest selling and most successful albums across the world in late 2016. The album, titled “WINGS” is a mix of BTS’ signature sound, which combines distinctly strong beats, and vocals with meaningful lyrics and heavy rap breaks. The first single of the album, “Blood, Sweat, and Tears” was released on Oct. 10 with a heavily story-driven music video featuring all seven members of the group singing and dancing. Within a day and a half the video had reached 10 million views, setting a record for fastest Kpop music video to reach this benchmark.

Another Kpop group, EXO, has also been breaking records this year. Their third album titled Ex’act was released in mid June 2016, and was an almost instant success. Approximately 450,000 copies of the Ex’act album were sold in the first three days after it was released, whereas American boy band One Direction’s most successful album, Midnight Memories, took nearly a week to reach the same number according to Billboard.

Kpop is becoming increasingly popular across the globe, as the genre’s winning combination of talented musicians and intricate choreography has been capturing the hearts of music fans everywhere. Don’t be surprised if one day soon you tune into your favorite pop radio station and hear one of these Kpop groups, sharing their culture through music.

• Kpop genre dominating world music charts

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Ogle selected as Player of the Year

Features

Four BHS students travel to San Francisco for Journalism

Showcase

Bulldog athletes double up on spring sports

Features

Humans of BHS: Becky Fritzsche, freshman

News

BHS students march for their lives, demand change

Showcase

Seniors taking their sports career to the next level

News

Car burglaries a recent problem in Baldwin City

Features

Humans of BHS: Ella Conover, freshman

Features

Students changing over time

Features

“Before I kick the bucket”