• Varsity Boys Soccer won 2-0 to Christian Academy and is continuing their undefeated streak

• Varsity Volleyball plays Paola at 4:30 tomorrow Sept. 13, @ BHS

• JV Boys Soccer loses to Basehor-Linwood

Girls basketball looking for first State title in 22 years

Garrett Owings, Editor-in-Chief

It has been 22 years since a girls basketball championship banner has been hung in the gym, but the girls basketball team is hoping to make history. The girls basketball team made it to the 4A Div. II State tournament by winning Sub-State. The Bulldogs won both games, defeating Osawatomie and Burlington both by double digits. The team is going into the tournament with a 21-1 record and secured the #1 seed.

The Bulldogs look to improve even more on their record by adding more wins and potentially winning state. The team set a new school record by winning 19 regular season games, making this season one to remember.

“It was a fun season,” head coach Bob Martin said. “Part of this success has came from the girls working hard during practice, being dedicated to the program and having fun going to practice every day.”

The team chemistry between the girls does not stop on the court. The girls spend countless hours doing fun activities and bonding with each other on their own time.

“It is simple, we are family. We work hard when we are on the court and we have fun together when we aren’t,” Stewart said. “Between our team dinners, picnics, lazer tag, sleepover and holiday parties, we form a sisterhood.”

Seniors in every sport seem to inherit this leadership type role, which plays a big part in determining a team’s success.

“The seniors have really filled the role they are suppose to play and that is amazing to see as a coach,” Martin said. “The seniors have stepped up and helped each other out, but it is not just the seniors, the whole team has picked each other up the whole season and that has been a big part of our success.”

The Bulldogs take on Frontenac for the first round of State. Frontenac has a record of 9-13 and is the #8 seed in the tournament. Winning this game will guarantee the Bulldogs a spot to play this weekend. The team is looking forward to spending time together celebrating this achievement, especially Martin by making his third appearance at State in the last four years.

“We are looking forward to State,” Martin said. “We think we have a chance to compete. We just need to play one game at a time and get to the weekend.”

“I am super happy we made it to State,” senior Abby Ogle said. “ I want to win so bad and I am ready to give it my all.”

This is a bittersweet moment for the seniors since this is their last time to play with each other.

“It sucks that my senior year is almost over,” Ogle said. “I love basketball and I love my teammates, I don’t want it to end.”

The first game against Frontenac will be played at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night. All the games will be played at the William L. White Auditorium in Emporia.

• Girls basketball looking for first State title in 22 years

Breaking News

New faces, new positions as 2018 begins at BHS

News

BHS Journalists Compete in State Competition

• Showcase

PE teacher, girls coach Susie Martin retiring after long tenure at BHS

Showcase

Martin longtime coaching career leads to basketball championship

Features

New literary arts magazine released at BHS

News

12 years of school and it’s all down to this

News

Tech school another great option for seniors

Features

Trivia becomes fun tradition for BHS staff, students

Features

Spring sports competing hard midway in season

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Ogle selected as Player of the Year