Slavin training to become Mixed Martial Artist

There are many activities and hobbies students have outside of school, but not many can say what Wyatt Slavin can. Slavin spends his nights training and excersizing to be a Mixed Martial Arts fighter.

“As a martial artist you can go to different gyms and depending on what the trainer is most experienced in is what he will train you in,” Slavin said. “Whether it is stand up fighting or ground fighting or takedowns or a mixture.”

Each night he trains and lifts weights to make himself a better fighter. He will first do his chores and school work, like a good student, then he will spend his free time training

“On the weekends I get out and run,” Slavin said.

Slavin joined the wrestling team at Baldwin High School this past year as a freshman. It was his first year wrestling.

“He is a hard worker,” wrestling coach Kit Harris said. “ He has a great future. He has learned his techniques well.”

Slavin was coached by Harris and plans to continue with wrestling all four years of high school. He is committed to his fighting and his wrestling team at the same time.

“I think that’s a crazy adventure for anyone to take,” Harris said about MMA. “Go for it and I’ll support you. It is a definite challenge the sport has a great following.”

His mother, Lisa Slavin, has her own opinion about her son participating in MMA fighting.

“I support the healthy workout and discipline,” Lisa Slavin said. “I am nervous he could be injured, because he learns the moves but he doesn’t actually fight or compete.”

Of course his mother has a right to be nervous. MMA fighting is a lot of work and dedication.

“I’m not sure how much he will do in the future,” Lisa confesses. “Maybe he will become a trainer (for others).”