Volleyball squad ‘digging’ successful season, preparing for Dig Pink Night

The Bulldog volleyball squad (20-3) always expected to improve on last year’s season, but might not have expected their season to get this good.

“I’m really proud of my team,” senior Madeline McCrary said, “and I couldn’t have asked for a better senior year so far.”

Ranked eighth in the Kansas Volleyball Association 4A polls, the girls have won both the Frontier League tournament and the Wellsville tournament, which they did without losing a set. Senior Jenna Irey said that the Wellsville tournament was most notable because the Bulldogs have struggled at the tournament in the past.

“I thought that it was very good,” Irey said. “Usually, it isn’t a tournament we do so hot in, but we did good. We never went into three sets.”

McCrary said that the Bulldogs expected a different result at the tournament than past years.

“Going into the tournament we knew we were going to play five games,” McCrary said. “It really didn’t even occur to me it happened so fast, because no one can remember the last time we’ve won the (Wellsville) tournament.

McCrary also said that the expectations for this year were higher than in years past.

“Our expectations for the team definitely raised with six returning varsity players,” McCrary said. “We knew what to expect of each other, and from the summer, the transformation of the team was noticeable and the chemistry was there.”

The Bulldogs now will prepare for “Dig Pink”, a night in which the Bulldogs promote Breast Cancer Awareness and new BHS club Stand Up 2 Cancer.

“I’m excited for Dig Pink,” Irey said. “I think tonight is going to be the best turnout we’ve had in years.”

McCrary noted that because of this year’s success, the team had to change their approach to Dig Pink.

“Something we’re doing differently this year is that instead of getting a dollar for a dig, we’re getting a cure for a kill,” McCrary said.

The varsity game is set to serve at 6:30 p.m. today at the BJHS gymnasium.