Baseball looking to improve from last season

The Varsity baseball team is preparing for its first game against Burlingame to start the season on March 26. The JV’s first game will be against DeSoto on March 28.

Varsity head coach Brian Turk will be assisted by Jay King. JV will be coached by Adam Guss.

“We’re excited for the upcoming season and feel we have more depth throughout the program than the previous couple years,” Turk said. “We’ll have some new faces on the Varsity team but also have a handful with two or three years of experience. The weather has obviously set everybody’s practice time back but we look forward to really growing as a team as the season progresses.”

Last year’s varsity record was 4-17, the JV record was 10-10.

“Last year’s season left a bad taste in our mouth but also provided some good learning lessons,” Turk said. “We knew it was going to be a difficult season as we had to replace seven starting seniors from the year before.  We got in a rut and things kind of snowballed on us…however, we finished the year nearly upsetting the #1 seed at regionals (lost by 1 run) and showed the younger players what they’re capable of.”

The team and coaching staff are looking to build up from last year.

“Our main goal is to be more consistent and competitive in every game…to avoid the big ups/down roller coaster ride we were on last year and finish above .500 for the first time since 2006,” said Turk.