Reaction: USMNT disappointing in multiple levels with 0-0 draw to Canada

With the loss on Tuesday to Canada, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann and the U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team might have some big problems when world cup qualifying play begins on Feb. 6 in Honduras.

The first thing about the Canada game was that the USMNT didn’t really even create any chances against Canada, who is ranked 64th according to FIFA. The USMNT is ranked 28th and at this point falling. But to not even create decent chances on goal against Canada is unacceptable.

Secondly, Mexico played a game in Glendale, AZ yesterday against Denmark and filled up The University of Phoenix Stadium, substantially bigger then BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, which the USMNT played in on Tuesday against Canada. That’s pretty embarrassing when Mexico supporters can fill up a stadium almost two times as large as the stadium the US gets half way full. Let alone they aren’t even in their own country. Houston should never be allowed to host an USMNT game again, although with that bad of a performance I almost don’t blame them.

Third, everyone after the game was gawking over left winger Josh Gatt, who showed his speed and potential in the offensive end. However, it was generally forgotten how many times he dribbled into four defenders (which consequentially lead to a turnover) instead of releasing the ball. Gatt is a right-footed winger playing left-wing, which in turn allows him to cut into his favored right foot and take the ball up the center. That is all fine and good if you have a left foot and will go down line and cross the ball with your left foot, but Gatt didn’t. In fact, while dribbling up the line on a US counter-attack, he chose to slot the ball with the outside of his right foot rather then slotting the ball in toward his players with his left. This is unacceptable for a player looking to be on the USMNT.

However Gatt was not the only disappointment in the United States performance on Tuesday. Chris Wondolowski, a player that leads the MLS in scoring, was unable to convert on multiple free-kicks, drilling them into the Canadian wall or laying them off poorly so his teammates could hit them into the wall. This was the last chance to prove themselves to Klinsman before he names the final world cup qualifying roster. Players, like Gatt, Wondolowski and Sporting Kansas City’s own Matt Besler and Graham Zusi should look at the 0-0 draw as a lost opportunity to show Klinsman that they belong on the team. In fact, the USMNT and supporters should be a little worried about the Honduras game considering their recent form.