Goals still high for girls basketball despite key losses

Even with the losses of its top three scorers, the girls basketball team still has the same, if not higher expectations for the upcoming season.

“I expect that we’ll be a very competitive team,” coach Bob Martin said. “We should challenge for league championship.”

Martin is very optimistic about his team, which includes three key returning players.

“We return [juniors] Kailyn Smith, Katie Kehl, and [sophomore] Katie Jones,” Martin said. “All three of them started.”

On the other hand, Martin also realized challenges that the Bulldogs must overcome. This includes the loss of last years senior’s Myranda Behrens, Ramie Burkhart and Allison Howard. The Bulldogs also lost returner Monica Howard, who transferred to Lawrence High School. The three graduated seniors led the team in scoring.

“We lost our top three seniors and the top three scorers,” Martin said. “We have a lot of positions to fill.”

Another positive for Martin the upcoming season is the freshman class. Martin spoke high of the upcoming freshman contributors to the program.

“I like our freshman class,” Martin said. “I think a lot can contribute over time.”

Martin said his team will emphasis improvement in early practices and should carry the philosophy over the season.

“Just development throughout the year fundamentally,” Martin said. “We should steadily improve. We should be better at the end of the season than at the beginning.”

The Bulldogs start their season home Dec. 12 against Santa Fe Trail.