Baldwin’s battle of the beards

If you walk the halls at Baldwin High School, you will find many different types of people, from Scholars Bowl students to football students, and theatre enthusiasts to cross country runners. You’ll also find many different types of styles at BHS, from the fashion experts to the casual sweat-wearers; and of course, you’ll find the “lumberjacks” of the school.

It wouldn’t be hard to spot our Baldwin “Lumberjacks.” All you’d have to do is look for the beards. Some students in our school can grow impressive lumberjack-type beards and they are quick to show them off. The most popular beards in the school are those of Michael Burton’s and Jake Brungardt’s. With beards at an impressive length, it’s hard not to do a double take upon seeing them. These famous beards have sparked a daring idea to the students belonging to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes club.

The most impressive beards in the school will now be placed in a school competition. Students will raise money for the FCA club by putting money toward which ever student we want to see shave their beard.

“Reese Randall had the idea to raise money by shaving a beard,” sponsor Jason Crowder said. “We are raising money for a child we are sponsoring in Haiti and we thought this would be a good, fun way to raise money.”

It comes as no surprise though that the two students whose beards are on the line are a little on edge about the idea though.

“I’m a little nervous about doing this,” Burton said. “I really want to keep it for as long as I can.”

Burton also said it took him about all summer to grow this beard.

“It takes me about a month to grow my beard to a good length,” Brungardt said about his beard. “Though, I’ve been growing this out for about a year now. I’m not too worried about it though because I can still have a mustache and it would be fun to see where that goes.”

Both students say it was not hard to be convinced to be the victims of this fundraiser.

“I was on board with the idea the minute the said I’d be shaving my beard for a good cause,” Brungardt said.

“And I was on board as soon as Jake said he was on board,” Burton said.

Both guys want to “lose” the competition to keep their beard, but they know in the end one will have to and the fate of their impressive lumberjack beard rests in the students of the high school’s hands.

“Vote for Jake!” Burton pleads.

“Vote for Michael!” Brungardt also pleads.