Debate team prepares for new year

As the 2014 year starts, all of the Fall sports and clubs start too. This does not just include football, cheer, and soccer either; this also includes debate. The debate team has been hard at work since day one, figuring out their new topic and adjusting to the many changes this year has brought.

The first biggest change is a paperless idea. Not only is the school going paperless, but the whole debate community is adapting the idea of going paperless. This means that students now have to have all their research completed and on their iPads rather than paper.

Senior Ben Huntington does not like the idea of going paperless.

“I don’t like that we are going paperless.” Huntington said. “Especially on my senior year. It is making things harder and more frustrating.”

Even new teacher and debate coach Emily Thomas says she does not care for the paperless debate year.

“I don’t like the idea of going paperless either,” Thomas said. “It’s making things difficult for students, though I am trying to stay positive about the idea and keep kids working hard.”

Though the debate team is finding struggles with the paperless year, they still believe they will have a good year.

“I think the season will be a good year,” Huntington said. “The seniors are providing leadership and teaching the novice students all they know. I expect to be undefeated.”

Sophomore Phillip Carroll also expects a good year.

“I’m really excited about this season. I expect lots of wins.” Carroll said. “Though it’s not a real strong case this year so the season should have a whole lot of affirmative wins.”

Thomas is hopeful that the season will go well as well and is confident the students are ready to go.

The debate team will kick off their season with a home tournament this Saturday and will compete for the first time on Oct 26.