Students, staff adjust to iPad app MyBigCampus

The start of a new year brings many new feelings to our Baldwin High School Campus. With seniors growing restless, waiting patiently for gradation, juniors feeling excited to be upperclassmen, sophomores thankful to no longer be freshman, and Freshman overwhelmed by all the new changes brought before them; every student in Baldwin High School has a different feeling about this 2013-14 year. Though we all can relate in the way we are adjusting to the new iPad system, and the “MyBigCampus App” that comes with it.

MyBigCampus is a school pushed app that is supposed to make schooling and finding assignments easier for students. It is a tool that children can take home and still do their assignments as if they are at school. Teachers can communicate with students through the app and assign homework as well.

It seems that most high schoolers of every grade level and even some teachers have the same opinion about the MyBigCampus app and how we are incorporating it into everyday schooling, and that opinion is that most are not in favor.

“MyBigCampus is pointless to me,” junior Kassadie Burton said. “I liked using pencil and paper more and only use MyBigCampus because teachers assign homework on there and make me use it.”

Sophomore Brad Harris agreed with Burton on the issue of electronical assignments rather than paper assignments. He believes part of the problem is poor internet connection as well.

“I also liked turning in papers more,” he said. “MyBigCampus is not so reliable at school with our internet connection the way it is.”

“It’s harder to understand and it complicates schooling more,” sophomore Logan Phillips added.

Even teachers are uncomfortable with MyBigCampus at the moment and have their own opinions on the matter.

“I like the idea of it, but I have found there to be a bunch of little glitches that are hard to understand and work around,” Culinary teacher Paul Musselman said.

Musselman said he would not want to go back to pencil and paper and is glad we are advancing forward.

The new iPads and MyBigCampus app are just adjustments that every student and teacher will have to make. Change is hard for a lot of people and this is no exception. MyBigCampus is a tool that is supposed to improve students academic, and with time hopefully the app can achieve that goal without all the frustration behind it.