New security measures taken across the district

On Dec. 14, 700 students went to school for a regular school day. At 9:30 a.m., Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School. Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School. He interrupted the announcements and instead of the children hearing their principal, Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, they heard gunshots. Teachers, upon hearing the shots, rushed their students to bathrooms and closets to find protection for the shots. Within minutes, 26 people were shot, 20 students and 6 teachers.

Schools across the country have changed their security since the shooting. Over winter break, the USD 348 faculty and staff looked over current security plans and thought of other ways to make the security better in the four schools.

Superintendent Paul Dorathy has prepared all the schools in the district if an intruder were to enter

“Every building in the district has a crisis plan that covers any number of emergencies from fire to intruders,” Dorathy said.

The high school is looking into ways to help with security.

“What we had was good. We are analyzing what we are currently doing, and looking at what we can do better,” BHS principal Rob McKim said.

Parents across the district have been sending emails to Dorathy asking to see the plans if an intruder entered their child’s building.

“I hope you can understand that we cannot share these plans as they could be used by an intruder,” Dorathy said.

There has been discussion among students about a student resource officer.

“It depends on who has the weapons, I think a SRO would be okay to have but I don’t think anyone else should have any sort of weapon in the school,” said sophomore Dylan Auger.

Some faculty at the high school think that an SRO would be good.

“I would be ok with a SRO in the building, not just for safety purposes but for positive programs an connections,” counselor Melody Hoffsommer said.

Some believe that a SRO would be better than having armed teachers.

“I”m against arming teachers or administration  because not everyone has experience,” assistant principal Frank Perbek said.