Campaign 2012: A scope on BHS politics

With the 2012 Election close to an end, the BHS Journalism staff conducted a survey of political views in BHS. The survey results can be found in the photo gallery below. Students and staff both had advice for voters.

“Oftentimes, voters vote on religious reasons or family issues,” BHS math teacher Danielle Balsman said. “Usually, when they’re at that age, they go on what their parents believe in or support.”

Indeed, the results of the surveys could be early indicators of how Baldwin City as a whole votes. BHS leans slightly toward President Barack Obama, showing that 37% of BHS students and staff would vote for Obama, while 31% would vote for senator Mitt Romney. Seven percent of voters would vote for “other” candidates. BHS also has a big undecided vote, with 26% of students and staff showing that they could not commit on any candidates. Generally, Douglas County is one of the few counties that vote Democratic. Lawrence is heavily Democratic, while Baldwin City generally leans slightly Democratic. Eudora generally leans slightly Republican. Balsman stated that she is voting to support an important issue in Kansas.

“I’m voting to support education in Kansas,” Balsman said.

Senior Kate Daffern had a simple message to other eligible young voters.

“Actually know the policies that both parties support,” she said.

Government teacher Jason Crowder had an uncommon theory about the 2012 Election, a feat that has only happened since the controversial 2000 election, Bush vs. Gore.

“I think there is a good chance Romney will win popular vote, but lose electoral vote,” he explained.

Voting is open tomorrow from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Kansas. Available voting sites are located at places such as Baldwin Junior High School or at the area fire stations.

“I will be voting at the junior high at 11,” Balsman said.

[slideshow id=8]