Flappy Bird removed from the Apple app store

The popularity of a game known as “Flappy Bird” skyrocketed over the past few months. It’s one of those games that you say the name and people know exactly what you’re talking about.

In case you happen to live in a pineapple under the sea away from the world, Flappy Bird is an indie game released for mobile devices that uses extremely simple gameplay and visuals but is demonically challenging for most players.

According to bbc.co.uk, the developer of Flappy Bird was earning more than $50,000 a day on advertising revenue alone. This is an insane fact especially considering that it is a free application. Unfortunately, the developer decided to take the app down without much explanation.

“I am sorry ‘Flappy Bird’ users, 22 hours from now, I will take ‘Flappy Bird’ down. I cannot take this anymore.” This is a Tweet made by the developer, Dongatory, posted on Feb. 8. Some were skeptical and thought either his Twitter account was hacked or it was a stride for attention, but in fact, the game was taken down from the Apple App Store.

Fans of the game began to wonder what the reasoning for the game’s deletion was since the developer did not release a direct statement on why it was removed. It is possible that the game could have been taken down in fear of the popular game company Nintendo claiming copyright infringement since the game has many graphics and textures similar to some of Nintendo’s games and the company has proved in the past that they are not afraid to act upon copyright material.

The removal of the game has caused an extreme price rise on iOS devices that have Flappy Bird installed on them. On Ebay, a 16 gigabyte iPhone 5th generation with Flappy Bird installed had a starting bid of $750 and within one day of being available, the price was raised all the way up to $98,100.

People are going crazy over this app even when it is gone. That just shows how a game does not need to be complex to become a hit game.