Field trips combine fun, education for students

Why do some classes go on field trips during the school year? Some teachers take kids on field trips to learn something new. Other teachers take their classes on field trips to enrich their lives with different cultures, or to learn something new other than what they learn in their community.

Typically, students tend to enjoy field trips. After all, events like these come only every once in a while. Take Art Club for example.

Members of Art Club have recently been on a trip to the Dracula ballet at the Kauffman Center in Kansas City. A while before that, they went on a trip to St. Louis.

Junior Catherine Christain has been on these field trips and has enjoyed them.

“I love the field trips that the Art Club takes,” Christain said. “It helps to expand my creative perspective on the world. It exposes me to new ideas and pushes me to do things I wouldn’t have the opportunity to do otherwise, like going to St. Louis.”

Concert Choir is a class that often goes on field trips to help the students better themselves as a choir. Recently, they went on a trip to Emporia State in emporia to sing for the choir director there, and receive feedback to help prepare themselves for competition later this month. They also went to the state basketball game there to sing the national anthem.

Junior Shannon Hill, a soprano in Concert Choir, was part of this field trip to Emporia, and learned a lot from going on this trip.

“I thought the field trip was really fun,” Hill said. “I enjoyed that the choir got to sing the national anthem. I enjoyed that our choir got to sing for a professor at a college and I think shegave our choir some good advice to think about and I think we can improve by this advice.”

A group of sudents in Spanish class recently came back from a trip to the country of Panama. Every year, the Spanish and French classes alternate taking trips to different places around the world. This year, it was the turn of the Spanish class.

Senior Allison Waymire went on this trip to Panama. It was a great experience for her and she learned many things.

“Panama was a great experience for me because I got to practice being away from my parents for college and being in tough situations, and I had the best $5 smoothie in the world,” Waymire said.

A select group of band and perhaps choir students are going on a trip to Europe during the summer of 2015 to tour various countries in the continent. The title of this trip is the Kansas Music Ambassadors of America. The trip will last 16 days.

Junior Kymbr Simmons plans to go on this trip, and is excited to be a part of it.

“I had already known I was going to get a letter because I had talked to Mr. Cooper about it,” Simmons said. “I am definetly excited about it.  I had herd people from years past that had gone and they had really enjoyed it.”

Although the school year is almost over, some classes still have a few last trips to go on. All three choir classes, along with the band, will be traveling to Eudora to compete in the state large group festival.

Choir director Beth Nelson has positive thoughts on this upcoming competition at Eudora.

“It’s a great goal to work toward,” Nelson said. “Our choirs are really working hard right now and I think it’s going to be a great Festival.”